Celebrations are made extra special when you are able to take the time to make a cake from scratch. In my house that is no different. When a birthday is approaching, this is one of our family’s go to recipes. Pairing this cake with whipped cream frosting and berries is the best way to go. It’s sweet, but not too sweet. The berries just finish off this perfectly moist chocolate cake.
I would love to hear from you if you make this recipe. Here is the printable Triple Layer Chocolate Cake recipe for you to enjoy!
A few added chocolate curls would be a delicious addition!
Triple Layer Chocolate Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-inch cake rounds. Dust with flour and tap out the excess.
- Mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a stand mixer using a low speed until combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil, and vanilla. Beat on a medium speed until smooth. This should take just a couple of minutes.
- Divide batter among the three pans. I found that it took just over 3 cups of the batter to divide it evenly. 5. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. 4.83 from
- Cool on wire racks for 15 minutes and then turn out the cakes onto the racks and allow to cool completely.
- Frost with your favorite frosting and enjoy!
Whipped Cream Frosting
1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened